Wednesday, January 26, 2005

GOING SOUTH

ADDICTED TO LOVE  (part VII)
 
I can not remember the first time I went South. I can not begin to count the times I went South. Sometimes, I could not even remember I had been South.

It would begin innocently enough. You would be studying quietly in your dorm room. You had probably just returned from a wonderful wholesome (just like Mom cooked!) meal at the Cafeteria. Someone would come down the hall way, stick their head in your room and ask, "Wanna go South?" I never once said no.

Nine miles directly south of Murray you went through a small town called Hazel that dropped you into Tennessee. Home of the 18 year old legal drinking age. (We're talking the 1970's.)

Of the many bars directly over the border, The Cotton Club was the dive of choice. All the college kids went there. The regular house band was called, Clap hands Here Comes Charlie and was made up of music majors from MSU. They had a horn section and could rock that concrete joint like there was no tomorrow. They played a lot of Chicago, we danced like crazy, on the dance floor, on the table tops, we drank the cheap beer....mainly Busch beer...., we played the pin ball machines, we flirted, we danced some more, and then around 11pm the large bell would be rung announcing last call. We would load up in our cars, and head back up Route 641, praying that tonight would not be the night they would have a road block.

It was THE PLACE to be during the week! Murray was a "suitcase campus". The week end would roll around and the majority of the students would head home. Since I lived so far from Central KY, I rarely went home. The week ends were reserved for Fraternity functions.....the week days were for GOING SOUTH!

Preview

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's funny. I went to college in a dry county in northwest Tennessee, and we headed up to Kentucky on weekends to buy liquor or go to a club where we could get something besides beer. (Yeah, we played Murray State.)

Anonymous said...

We went NORTH...drinking age in Wisconsin in those days was 18.  Unfortunately, it was a bit more than a ten-mile drive.  More like forty miles.  I never drank all that much in those days, so I was often designated driver.  Lucky for us, we never got caught...or dead.  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

ah the days of 18 drinking are done and an era gone by. I remember in Richmond you could get in to the dance clubs back in the 70's and 80's but could not drink. Of course you alwasy sipped your friends drink with a coke in front of you. OR sometime you brought you own spiker for your coke.!!!!!!!!  Those were the days. Lori

Anonymous said...

we never went south...i drove north!  heh from Florida to NYC for fun.  that's was our crazy fling....drive to manhattan- we could be there by daybreak if we drove 18 hrs straight...which wasnt a big deal to 19 and 20 yr olds.  we could hang out all weekend, shot footage be back by monday morning classes.

http://journals.aol.com/umashouse/lifetimesofasuburbanmisfit/

Anonymous said...

Did you ever tell us what you were majoring in? You seemed to have quite an interest in chemistry.

Anonymous said...

I went south too...to New York. New Rochelle had a place called the Green Derby that sounds like a twin to the Cotton Club.

Anonymous said...

Whew...you scared me there for a second...never went to college, never got into drinking, but I sure enjoy hearing your stories!  JAE

Anonymous said...

I was looking for you in the pics. Came up empty. If you're there, I missed you. : )
Angela

Anonymous said...

I am 20 minutes from Canada where the drinking age is still 19. I am glad you had fun and didn't get crashed while DUIL!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

I didn't have to go south, I grew up in WI where the drinking age was 18 well into the 80's.  Then it was 19 for a while.  Sounds like you had lots of fun :-)  Pamela

Anonymous said...

"And The Beat Goes On"   Anne

Anonymous said...

I think it's great that you have these photos. Looks like fun.

Anonymous said...

You are stiring up some great memories. Keep going! :-)

Anonymous said...

South sounds fun to me !

NJLB
http://journals.aol.com/njlittlebear/MyBigFatGeekLife

Anonymous said...

Ah, those were the days, huh?  Kids today do not get to have as much fun as we had...

Anonymous said...

Wow, you sure lived it up on campus.  Looking back at my college days I wish I loosened up a little.  Strict Catholic upbringing was hard to shake though, sigh.  Let's just say I was a late bloomer, lol.

Anonymous said...

I remember that time of life when I was 18 and could drink legally. By the time they took that back I was 21. I was a newlywed at that time but one of my childhood friends and I would go to bars and drink just because. I live in the NY metro area and we found all the fun places to be. I could never drink like that now and wake up the next morning! lol Fun times! Nelle

Anonymous said...

These are Great Pics!
Thanks.
V