Thursday, July 29, 2004

Don't Mess With My Memories

In April of last year, Joe and I went to the Todd Rundgren concert held in downtown Lexington at the renown Kentucky Theater.  Named the Troubadour Series, they bring exception talent to a small intimate venue.

I loved Todd as a kid.  My first double album was Something Anything. Alone in my   room I played it over and over on my dinky little record player until the vinyl was gray.  I knew all the works to all the songs. My favorite was "I saw the Light."  It was the one song that I longed to hear.  I knew it would take me back to my small cozy room, with the pink walls and burgundy wine color carpet, with Beatle posters on the wall, and most my clothes on the floor.  I wanted to close my eyes and look out the window of that second story room into the tree tops of my youth. I wanted to step into that time machine with Todd at the controls.

While standing in line to purchase the tickets with about 200 other nostalgic baby boomer aging hippies, our freak flags replaced with the gray mantle of grand parenthood, I felt someone's eyes on me.  Turning, I found myself looking at a person who I went through prison with, though our parents called it a Catholic High School.  We caught up on the years since out last high school reunion and purchased tickets next to each other, which were ten rows back from the stage.

I couldn't wait!  Finally the evening came. The theater was packed.  We settled into our seats and the show began on time without a warm up band.  Who needed to warm us up!  We sang along with the songs and were having a grand time.

I began to panic, as the show was long and he had yet to sing, "I saw the light."  I poked Joe and said, "Have I missed something."  And Joe replied back to me, "I wish he would do his hard rock stuff!"

It was then that Todd put down the guitar, walked away from the piano and brought out a drum machine and a ukulele!

He began to play "I don't want to work" which is my anthem anymore.  I was still happy and still waiting for "I saw the light."  Suddenly, I thought I recognized it....oh no!  He was singing it accompanying himself with the ukulele!  He was making fun of it!  Styling it as a parody of the wonderful song.  I could not help it, I began to cry.

Joe, or course, thought it was hilarious.

Leaving the theater with Joe and my high school friend, we encountered yet another High School class member sitting right behind us!

"What did you think?" he asked us.

"He was great." Joe replied.

"What did you think about 'I saw the light", I asked.

"That was the best one. I hated that song."

Damn.  Am I the only one who loved that pop icon?  Instead of being carried back to my youth, I had my memories trashed!

The reason I bring this up is that I go to very few concerts anymore.  I have seen the Rolling Stones one too many times, the Beatles will never tour again.  Todd is on my "bad word"" list now. Yet,  I have been knocked out by the sound of the SAW DOCTORS, an Irish band (natch) that is going to be playing in Dublin, Ohio at the Irish Festival in August.

Since discovering them, I have  memorized the entire "Live In Galway" album (CD).... I want to be able to sing along in case I am being watched ("remember Metallica" is my touchstone regarding such things) They better not try anything funny.....

 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved (and still do) Todd Rundgren.  We've Got To Get You A Woman and Hello, It's Me tie for my favorites.  I can't stand to think of him parodying his own music.  Sure, people grow and change, but there's no need to make fun of what we used to do.

Anonymous said...

I've had that happen where you go to a concert (more than once) waiting for YOUR favorite song that you're sure is everone's and they either don't sing it or they sing it as part of a medley......so disappointing. I feel for you!
Don't know your Irish band however.  : )

Angela

Anonymous said...

Todd`s from Philly!   Started with his 1st hit with his group, the " Nazz"
V

Anonymous said...

I've been to a few concerts where I was POSITIVE they would play a top hit song or a song that did well or made them famous.  Only they don't, how frustrating.

Monica

Anonymous said...

Aw...bummer...

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna get mushy here..."Hello, It's Me" was the song I chose to remember losing my first real love. We inevitably grew apart when she went to college in northern Maine. But I loved the reference to "Almost cut My Hair". I feeeeel like I owe it..to someone.

Anonymous said...

As a traditionalist, purist, & sentimentalist when it comes to music, I can certainly understand ypur feelings. Sorry your memories were trashed!...Jon

Anonymous said...

Okay, now I have to go out and buy the "Saw Doctors" CD...if I can find a decent record store around here anywhere.  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

I hate when they sound different then what their album songs sound like. It ruins it for me too. :-) ---Robbie