Thursday, July 1, 2004

More Summer Memories

Having a child is like having a second childhood.  At least in my case that is the way it was.

Fast forward a few life times and I am a single mother with an almost school age child.  That summer, right before her sixth birthday, we went to Florida!

This was my first trip to Florida.  I missed all those wild Spring Breaks while pretending to be a college student.  I missed running away to Florida when I was a disgruntled teenager.

I had never been to Disneyland.  I had only seen it Sunday evenings when it was featured on the Walt Disney Show.  I longed when I was a child.  Wasn't it every child's dream?  Then and now?

Bridget and I were on the monorail into the Park after parking the vehicle.  As soon as I saw the Castle I had a feeling of unrestrained joy swell up inside of me!  I could not for the life of me wipe the silly grin off my face.  Bridget and I both...giddy with anticipation.

In addition to visiting the Magic Kingdom, we  wandered into Weeki  Wachee land and the Mermaids.  This picture is of Bridget, chosen out of the crowd, to have a bird perched on her head.

She was so innocent at this age.  Never before and never after has she allowed a bird on her head

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

aw now arent you cute. I remmebr htings from my childhood and we have family in this week and we are getting things reviewed from then. Lori

Anonymous said...

That's what I love about having a kid---it's like a second childhood, only better, because you can give your child the things & experiences you wish you had had. It's a do-over!!!!

Anonymous said...

Mary, I'm loving your summer memories- but I'm glad you mentioned that it was a BIRD perched on Bridget's head. When I first quickly looked at the photo, I thought she was wearing an Indian headdress. Is there something wrong with my myopic eyes?? Anyway, it's a very cute photo!....Jon

Anonymous said...

very sweet! Once down in the keys a guy wrapped a beautiul HUGE yellow python around my neck and body.... very cool experience and the snake was fabulous.

Anonymous said...

Psst.... It's Walt Disney World, not Land. Land is out here and it pales by comparison. I still love going though. You feel like a kid again the minute your foot hits the pavement of the parking lot. :-) ---Robbie

Anonymous said...

Disneyland and Disneyworld are the only places in the world where you can be comfortable being a five year old at sixty. What a great way to spend some time.  Regards, Bill.

Anonymous said...

I am a father of two son's one 27 and the other 9. I never got to spend tiem with my oldest. But, I have made up for it with my youngest, to me children are the greatest gift any man could ever want. They are a joy and a delight to watch grow up, and to see youself in them, I know i enjoy my son's and cherish every moment i spend with them.