Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The fun part of aging is pretending you are wise......You can quote me on that one.

And I shall....the fabulous Angela of the equally fabulous Life As I See It.

I suggest we change Rule Number One to read "Knowing what Matters and What Does Not"

On to Rule Number Two from the book RULES FOR AGING by Roger Rosenblatt...

NOBODY IS THINKING ABOUT YOU.

"Yes I know, you are certain that your friends are becoming your enemies; that your grocer, garbage man, clergyman, SIL, and your dog are all of the opinion that you have put on weight, that you have lost your touch, that you have lost your mind; further more, you are convinced that everyone spends two-thirds of every day commenting on your disintegration, denigrating your work, plotting your assassination.I  promise you: Nobody is thinking about you. They are thinking about themselves - just like you."

Hmmmmmmmm.......

Then I have this other quote I read this week-end (thanks to Cynthia Heimel, author extraordinaire)

"When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap."

Here is the connection. I am certain that when I have one of my moments...such as telling Leo of Saw Doctors a complete fib and gushing as I babbled on about it....or the time I spilt a drink all over the lead guitarist of Tempest and his girlfriend, those two leap to my mind immediately....that I am mortified for days.

It is nice to know that it is just a fleeting moment for them, and they never will think about it again. If they perchance ever spot me at another once of their concerts, they will not turn and run in the opposite direction.

I know this rule is riddled with cracks regarding its truthfullness, just like the first rule.

They might not think about you, but they will remember!!

This afternoon as I made my way back to the office I made a mental list of all the people I had thought of during the day.

The guy I met at IPFW, who was born in Harlan, KY. The guy I met today who went to school in Morehead, KY. My Mom, my Dad, the Angel Genie, my daughter Bridget, both my sisters, my pal G. in Florida, and then D. in Florida. My husband, dogs in general, my boss, my co-workers, A. who got her hair cut and it looks so nice and Don Johnson.

I threw in good old Don becauseI use to fantasize about him all the time years ago and he just popped into my head.

I was so busy thinking about everybody else, that I had little time to obsess about myself.

It was a relief, because I never ever should have gone through MacDonalds and got that double cheeseburger! I wasn't even hungry. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this!!  The thinking about self thing... yep, we all seem to do that pretty much 99% of the time.  I think it's hard to think of others when I have so many of my own problems to solve.  Lol.  HUgs,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Am I ever going to agree with this author? LOL! I know a guy who calls me on the phone just about every other day and talks about every person he thought about all day and he's the biggest gossip in the freakin' world and he's 57 years old. And, did you ever see a bunch of women sitting around a front stoop as a neighbor walks by. They go into a litany of the neighbor's life, appearance, blah, blah, blah. This author never watched "Desperate Housewives." : ) Luckily, I'm one of those people who hope, as I walk by, I have toilet paper stuck to my shoe....Hey, anything for a laugh. ; ) I really don't give a flying fig what anyone thinks about me. Drives my daughter insane but I was always that way. Luckily my parents always were worried what others thought. So, being a child who would quietly disobey, I didn't care what anyone thought and never did. Thank you mom and dad. : )

You're right. That rule is riddled with cracks and more holes than Swiss cheese.

I love the second quote. I really like to leap.....not physically. LOL!

And, you really did quote me. LOL! Too funny!

Hugs,
Angela

Anonymous said...

And I have read that men are thinking about sex some incredible percent of the time, which I guess falls into thinking about yourself.  But I do think that women are ruminating about others a lot more than men.  Maybe that's one problem with Roger's Rules--the male vs. female brain thing.  There's some healthy thoughts in them, though.
When I really can't resist a Big Mac I take off the 2nd patty, 3rd bun, and cheese, leave enough secret sauce to satisfy my craving and then don't feel so guilty.  That's hard to do if you're in the car, though.
*debbi*