Friday, March 31, 2006

Weekend Assignment #105: Poetry in Motion

Yet another great challenge from the Blogfather.

Weekend Assignment #105: Share a favorite poem.

Irish Poet...natch. I love this poem and at one time had it memorized.

William Butler Yeats (1865-1939), Irish poet, dramatist and prose writer, one of the greatest English-language poets of the 20th century. Yeats received the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1923.

 
He Wishes For The Cloths Of Heaven
 
Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

WBY died after cutting himself on some scrap iron. While the wound didn't kill him, he ended up passing away due to a Yeats infection.

You may want to bookmark this entry, because that may be the worst joke I've ever seen... and I've seen a bunch, let me tell you.

Anonymous said...

I love it also.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love it. How romantic. : ) Love those Irishmen. LOL! They have always been my weakness. : )

Angela

Anonymous said...

Lovely!  It brings such colors and images to my mind...  Lisa  :-]  

Anonymous said...

Great poem - thanks for posting it.
http://searchthesea.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Beautiful poem!  Thanks for sharing.
Lori