Sunday, March 19, 2006

MAY I PRESENT.........

THE SAW DOCTORS

There was not a soul anywhere! Only a guy outside standing on the street yelling "Tickets! Tickets!"

Are we at the right place!!? Where is everyone! Les was gone. The streets were deserted. It was pitch black, except for the Agora sign. The "O" was burnt out.

With some trepidation we went in. Down a dimly lit hallway and one turn to the left...there it was, the double glass doors to enter the Agora.

As soon as the doors opened, the heat, the smell, the noise engulfed us and sucked us in.

I heard them! They were already on stage. I ran into the ballroom blindly without looking back. I ran right into the back of the theatre into a thickly packed crowd. "How long have they been on stage?" I screamed, because he could not hear me any other way over the crowd, "About 20 minutes.", he relied.

Oh hell.

They were great. They were marvelous. They were wonderful. They sang and sang. N-17 was performed very early. We all sang along. As we did to most the songs. New ones were intertwined with all the classics.

I wanted to call Joe and let him listen to SHARE THE DARKNESS, one of the songs he likes....

Why don't we share the darkness tonight
Ah life's too short for wasting
For ifs and might have been's
Life's too short for wondering if
You could have lived your dreams
And its way too short for loneliness
We don't have to be
Now that we trust each other
Why don't you stay with me?
Why don't we share the darkness tonight
Make it warm and burning bright
I'll not say nothing
I'll be polite
Why don't we share the darkness tonight

........but I knew all he would hear would be people around me singing along with the dreamy lyrics.

So I enjoyed it meself, with a 32 ounce beer in one hand and waving my other arm in tune with the music and in a brotherhood with the others in the room.

They left the stage and naturally we coaxed them back on chanting/singing the soccer anthem that is a major part of the show, provided by the concert goers.

And they returned!! And did about six more songs.

Things get a little blurry here. And loud and sentimental. A big delightful surprise was their performance of  BANG A GONG....!!

And they finished with HAY WRAP.

Then, they left the stage and the magic lingered.

Photo's courtsey of Saw Doctor's web site

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We watched a TV concert of them recently and we have a CD...great group. Would like to hear them in person sometime!

Anonymous said...

There's NOTHING like hearing a band you love, live.  This sounds like an incredible weekend.  It really makes me want to get in the car and go somewhere.

Anonymous said...

We saw a few bands there in the 1980s - Elvis Costello, maybe, or the Clash, or the Specials.  I forget which of those concerts were the Agora, and which were at Swingo's.  We also did a Beatles record show there, as vendors. - Karen

Anonymous said...

great entry....felt like I was there!
Marti