Thursday, October 27, 2005

SIX DAYS IN CANCUN

Wednesday October 19

We left on Tuesday for Chicago to spend the day before traveling on Wednesday to Cancun in the Quintana Roo area of Mexico. Also known as the Mayan Riviera on the Yucatan Peninsula.

We contacted our travel agency to get information on the storm Wilma, which was being reported on CNN and MSNBC as building to the largest and strongest hurricane ON RECORD.

No one  knew anything. Weather is like that. Fickle and unpredicable.

I could not imagine what I would do on an "all inclusive" vacation hotel. How much can you eat and drink? I took along some books and sun tan lotion (HA!!!) and looked forward to laying on the beach, sipping exotic cocktails.

The extent of my Spanish consists of the following ... Ola...gracious, Amigo....and Eye Yi Yi....

I wanted to venture out into Cancun Proper and look into the Bull Fights (please no hate mail.) I thought that the flea market would be cool. We were to be there for three nights and four days and I hoped to be able to get off the "Riviera" section into the city and take pictures.

It was  windy. The sea was choppy. The sky was ominous.  When we arrived we were able to go the beach and prance around in the surf. We tried to run them out of liquor by ordering every exotic drink we could think of. We ate several times at two restaurants in the hotel.

Then we retired to watch the very late broadcast of the last game of the Astro Cardinal series.

I fell asleep very late. In my broken and restless dreams I heard the wind howling.

 

(Kisses to Joe (AOL Journal Editor) who tells me this story is MINE. AOL can use parts of it (if they want)  because I wrote it here, but it is mine!!!)

 

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

waiting to hear the rest.

Anonymous said...

More! More! More! The suspense is killing me. This is a super-duper caper with a lot of cliffhangers. Waiting for the next installment with puppy dog enthusiasm.  

Anonymous said...

More, More!

Derek

Anonymous said...

Okay, so the wind is howling...

And...

And...

AND...

;o(

~~ jennifer

Anonymous said...

Can;t wait to hear more.

Amd what exactly did Joe say?  I can't figure out how to email him to ask, but I'd sure like to know.  Since my similar request for info was not even acknowledged, there's stuff I've never put in my journal for exactly that reason.

Anonymous said...

You sure know how to build suspense.  And I love that picture! - Karen

Anonymous said...

See, *this* is why I voted for you!!

Lovely set up and intro.  Ohh to be on that beach, in those restaurants, lounging.  But what's to come?

More, more already!

Anonymous said...

I used to like Cancun....in another 10 chapters I will probably swear to never go there again!
xoox

Anonymous said...

Wow! It must be some kind of story if you're worried about copywrite rights. Gosh Mary! I didn't know you were down there, I logged on specifically to send you an email because I've begun to worry about why you haven't been updating. Well, I look forward to the story and I imagine it will support the validity of you being the best travel journal because I sure think you are! :-) ---Robbie

Anonymous said...

Aol is stealing stories? What the hell? I'm so glad you survived. LOL

Anonymous said...

Glad you are in the clear re: your rights.  I am not sure at all if I am ready for this story.

xoxoxo,
andi

Anonymous said...

Great start...ominous juxtaposed with normalcy.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the beginning of the trip was wonderful until the weather... that would make me a little uneasy too.  
Lisa