Friday, October 28, 2005

SIX DAYS IN CANCUN

Thursday Morning October 20th - Day One

We rode the bus provided to us by our vacation package company, Funjet, to the resort. The representative gave us the low down on the hurricane status. "We don't know."

A familiar refrain we would hear the entire journey.

She assured us we would have Thursday to go sightseeing, to visit the local disco's on the bus tour, go into Cancun, visit the ruins, and participate in the various excursions. She informed us that the hurricane was scheduled to arrive in our area on Friday. What category? How close? "We don't know". Wilma is expected to miss us and continue to the east.

In the meantime, Wilma is south of us, with winds of 175 miles per hour, a Category 5 hurricane....destination: unknown. She is a monster and moving slowly.

We are frolicking on the beach and playing on the foamy waves. We are taking advantage of the waning hours of a beautiful sun drenched Caribe afternoon. We are drinking Pina Colada's with the innocence of the uninformed. We are now in a third world country with limited resources to information. Soon to become no access to information.

I slept fitfully during the night. The wind was picking up speed and intensity as the hours crept into morning. I opened the sliding glass door and retrieved our wet t-shirts and towels that laid on the patio chairs.

Joe went to the front lobby at 5am. The staff shook their heads. The kitchen staff was busy making breakfast for all the guests. It would open at 7am. Joe returned to our room. We were glued to CNN. Information? Little to none.

Joe and I had dozed back to sleep after spending most the night awake. A loud knocking on our door at 730AM caused us to bolt straight out of bed.

We were evacuating.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep going or we won't get any sleep either!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

ah not a good wake up call

Anonymous said...

OK~
your killing me here......
What happened?????
~Marie

Anonymous said...

I think you could have a future writing mystery novels! You have me on the edge of my seat here! I was getting envious of your vacation. I have always dreamed of checking out the Mayan ruins near Cozumel. Never even been in that area. Now I know NOT to plan a vacation during hurricane season! Glad to know that you are back safe and sound!

Anonymous said...

Okay..I and the rest of humanity (at least AOL humanity) are glued to your story.  Lisa  -]

Anonymous said...

Not only am I glued, so are my coworkers!  Keep writing!!! :-)

Monica

Anonymous said...

I agree with suzypwr ... we're gonna be losing sleep here if the entries don't keep coming and fast!  Pennie

Anonymous said...

And then....?????

Anonymous said...

Start looking for  publisher NOW.