Sunday, October 30, 2005

SIX DAYS IN CANCUN

DAY FIVE - The first to leave

After returning to Lasalle I offered to share my clothes, perfume, soap, towels with everyone. I wanted to toss all my clean underwear on my pallet and roll around on it! In our absence the others had begun their journeys to the hotels! Luggage and suitcases were all on the way.

Then we began to focus on how to get out of there! Information was sketchy and inconsistent. We were informed that the Airport was closed. We were told it was open. We were told that you had to purchase a bus ticket to Merida and fly out of there.

It was chaos and confusion. Yet things were beginning to happen. The RUI hotel group that had been finding us shelters and feeding us now turned our fates over to the Group Charters we had booked our vacations through.

A Charter was a good thing. On the other hand a Charter was a bad thing. We were at the mercy of Funjet. Their representatives dressed in Caribbean blue shirts and white trousers. Much like Smurf's. Very few spoke English.

Dave was the first to go. Suddenly. The American Consulate was involved in getting those who had commercial flights out first. He was summoned to leave.

He picked up his back pack we all kissed him. And he was gone.

He was our Rock.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am finding your account of this fascinating.  Although it doesn't sound like it was much fun, it really sounds like the travel groups and hotel staff took good care of you, and made sure you all were safe.  

Anonymous said...

I bet it was scarry with your support being gone

Anonymous said...

You're working overtime on this. I have to go back and read the entries I missed. Mary, I'm just so happy that you and Joe are safe and back home. Happy Halloween!

Anonymous said...

Bye Dave!

Anonymous said...

"I wanted to toss all my clean underwear on my pallet and roll around on it! "  Me too!!! Uh, I mean, I'm so so happy for you.